Friday 27 June 2014

Books #12 - Reading Jazz - Edited by Robert Gottlieb

As I am still working my way through the amazing box set, 'The Ultimate Jazz Archive' (all 168 CD's of it), I have now discovered the perfect book to accompany it.

'Reading Jazz' is a collection of very fine writing on the subject of - yes, you guessed it - jazz.

At over 1000 pages long, the book is almost as comprehensive as the CD collection and editor Robert Gottlieb has gathered together autobiography, reportage and criticism from 1919 to the late 1990's.

Without me listing every single artist or writer involved in this mammoth publication, it would be fruitless for me to even begin to mention the names included and while I might not agree with all of the critical pieces, I find the articles interesting, Suffice to say that there are some absolutely fascinating pieces and as none of them are too lengthy, I find it perfect to pick up and browse over a cup of coffee, or more appropriately, while I'm listening to the aforementioned music collection.


I see from browsing online that used copies of this book can be picked up at very reasonable prices. If you are an aficionado or even a casual fan of jazz music, then I would recommend you get yourself a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment