Saturday 21 June 2014

John McLaughlin and that Whitley Bay connection

Several years ago when I was 'between homes', I stayed for a short while with a friend who resided in Warkworth Avenue, a pleasant pedestrianised street in the English north east coastal town of Whitley Bay.

Hold that thought but please bear with me as I change subjects entirely to speak now of one of my many musical heroes, John McLaughlin. I first became familiar with his work in the late 1960's thanks to the Miles Davis albums, 'Bitches Brew' and 'In a Silent Way'. From then on I collected many of McLaughlin's recordings including his excellent album 'Extrapolation' and his work with the Mahavishnu Orchestra and beyond. (The Emerald Beyond perhaps?)

Throughout that time I was aware of some connection between McLaughlin and the aforementioned Whitley Bay but I never discovered what that connection was. Even Wikipedia on the subject of McLaughlin, makes no mention of Whitley Bay, saying only that he moved from Yorkshire (where he was born in January 1942) to London in the early 1960's.


Well now, thanks to the research of writer Colin Harper, the mystery appears to be solved. According to Harper in his book 'Bathed in Lightning' (of which more in a future post), McLaughlin spent a good part of his childhood residing at number 54 Warkworth Avenue.

Which just happens to be only a few doors away from where I stayed long after McLaughlin had departed.






Perhaps one day, Whitley Bay will gain due recognition for the influence it is bound to have played in the development of the young McLaughlin.

I'd certainly like to think so.


2 comments:

  1. Brilliant thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had an argument about this you have solved it. Thanks.x

    ReplyDelete