Wednesday 18 June 2014

Jack White - Lazaretto

'I got three women, red blonde and brunette'.

So sings Jack White at the start of his latest album, on an uptempo re-write of Blind Willie McTell's 'Three Women Blues'. It may not be politically correct but it sure is a lot of fun.

For the remainder of the album, White sticks to self penned songs though I understand that he raided some notebooks and diaries from his teenage years for lyrical ideas. Whatever the source of the songs, White has again produced a widely varied album utilising a veritable host of musicians and singers. The title track begins with a stop-start hip-hop rhythm, then becomes a rock song complete with squealing guitar and finally we hear a brief snatch of jazz-rock fusion violin. 

And this trend continues for the remainder of the album.

'Temporary Ground' is pure country - and totally gorgeous to boot - while the instrumental 'High Ball Stepper' is almost Gothic. 'Just One Drink' is rocky with White sounding very much like an early 70's version of Mick Jagger yet the following 'Alone in My Home' bounces along nicely to some barroom piano, the verses linked by a strummed ukulele break.

On first hearing, I felt that having ditched his usual style of recording quickly and relying on more sparse arrangements, White had overdone things on this album and it all sounded a little bit self indulgent. Also I scorned some of the lyrics. Whether they came from his teenage notebooks or not, I winced when I heard him sing

"You drink water, I drink gasoline". (This being a slight rewrite of Tommy Johnson's classic line)
"Once of us is happy, one of us is mean. 
I love you but honey why don't you love me?"

Or, "Birds of a feather may lay together, but the uglier one is always under the gun."

However, I am coming around to the complex arrangements if not some of the lyrics and I am now convinced that this album is a one which will grow richer through repeated listening. Whatever else you may think of Jack White, he is certainly prepared to take risks and with 'Lazaretto' I believe the gamble has paid off.

Incidentally, I have learnt that 'Lazaretto' is Italian for leper hospital. 

Who says that rock music is not educational?

No comments:

Post a Comment