Wednesday 2 July 2014

The Best Albums of 2014 (So Far)

As that time of year comes round again, the musings in the White Room today concern the best albums of 2014 so far.

To be honest, I have been a little disappointed with the quality of new releases thus far. When I think back to this time last year, I was drooling about albums from Richard Thompson, The Villagers, Pere Ubu, Steven Wilson, Steve Earle, Hiss Golden Messenger, Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer and These New Puritans.

To date in 2014 I have heard rather lacklustre albums from Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young plus some decent but hardly outstanding releases from Conor Oberst, Seth Lakeman, Simone Felice, Paulo Nutini, Elbow, Temples and The Swans. I am also still getting to grips with very recent releases by Martin & Eliza Carthy and Dave & Phil Alvin.

However, the finest albums I have heard so far, have been the following (in no particular order):-

Teeth Dreams by The Hold Steady
Colfax by The Delines
Wine Dark Sea by Jolie Holland
Lost in the Dream by War on Drugs
Silver Rails by Jack Bruce
Lazaretto by Jack White
The Gloaming by The Gloaming
English Oceans by The Drive-By Truckers.

I can only hope that these eight albums receive more competition in the second half of the year but things on the horizon at present look bleak.

If I have omitted any of your own favourites then please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment