Monday 20 April 2015

Semer Water Revisited

Last July I wrote of a walk I completed on a scorching hot day in the Yorkshire Dales. On that occasion we ended our walk in the village of Hawes and on route we passed Semer Water where I learned of the legend of Simmerdale.
http://eddie-graham.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Semer%20Water


For my first lengthy walk (over 10 miles) of 2015, I returned to the same area. The weather was dry, bright and sunny but fortunately not as hot as last year as there was plenty of climbing involved.







However it is always worth climbing when good views are to be had.











After all the climbing and stops to admire the wonderful scenery, we eventually descended into the pretty village of Bainbridge situated near the confluence of the River Bain (England's shortest river no less) and the River Ure.









There I gained my first sight of a working Archimedes Screw.








A local custom in Bainbridge is the sounding of an ancient horn which was once used to guide foresters and travellers safely to the village from the surrounding Wensleydale forests. The horn is still located at the Rose and Crown public house and is sounded every night at 10 pm between September and February. It was there that we convened after our exertions to enjoy some well deserved refreshment.

No comments:

Post a Comment