Saturday 11 April 2015

Sandy Denny - Losing Game featuring Jess Roden

While listening to a bunch of stuff with my music player on 'shuffle' I came across the song 'Losing Game' by Sandy Denny, a track I couldn't recall hearing previously. This might be because it is buried away at the back end of a 19 CD box set collection of the complete works of Sandy Denny issued a couple of years ago.


With a little bit of research I discovered that the song was written by Australian singer/songwriter Richard Clapton (not Eric Clapton as one misinformed website claims) and it was originally recorded during the  'North Star Grassman & The Ravens' 1971 recording sessions. However it would not be completed until April 1976. (A version was issued on the re-mastered edition of the album in 2005).

The musicians involved in the final sessions were John 'Rabbit' Bundrick on keyboards, Jerry Donahue and Trevor Lucas on guitars, Pat Donaldson on bass, Dave Mattacks on drums, Dick Cuthell on trumpet and Alan Skidmore on saxophone. An illustrious line-up I think you will agree.

However what made me stop in my tracks while listening to this previously unissued version, was the distinctive voice of the backing singer. Sure enough a little more research revealed this to be none other than Jess Roden, a singer who I believe to be the best ever British male vocalist. You may wish to argue that point but surely no one can doubt that he is the most underrated.

Now the shuffle facility has been switched off and I am revelling once again in the back catalogue of Jess Roden solo and with The Alan Bown!, Bronco, the Butts Band and the Humans. What a voice!

In my view Roden is one of the few artists that I could easily spend a lifetime listening to and would never grow weary of.  Who are the others? Hmmm, an interesting question and perhaps a theme for a future post.

Meanwhile, who are yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment