Tuesday 3 September 2013

Forthcoming Albums - Blitzen Trapper and Midlake

During a year in which we have experienced some wonderful new albums, news has reached me here in Spain that there are another two to look forward to in the next couple of months. Or, am I being overly optimistic?

In the case of Midlake, I fear this may be the case. I consider their 2006 album, 'The Trials of Van Occupanther' to be one of the finest albums of the last 10 years. However the 2010 follow-up, 'The Courage of Others' in my view failed to reach quite the same heights.

Following some internal struggles, main singer (and songwriter) Tim Smith has departed and November will see the first release with the newly diminished lineup. The album is to be called 'Antiphon' and the title track is available to stream on a number of websites and to download for free on the band's own site. http://www.midlake.net/

On the basis of that one track, I suspect this could be a return to form, but we shall wait and see.

I don't recall how I became interested in Blitzen Trapper but it must have been at around the time of their eponymous debut album in 2003. Since then I have followed their progress avidly and I have the view that they quite possibly get better with each release. The quality of their output is certainly not  diminished by their high productivity - six albums in eight years!

Late September sees the release of their 7th album, appropriately but unimaginatively titled, 'VII'. They have also chosen to preview the album by streaming a track 'Ever Loved Once', a contemplation of small town romance set against a backing of pedal steel guitar, banjo and plaintive harmonica. Check out their website here.  http://www.blitzentrapper.net/

Yet another pair of albums to look forward to in a year which keeps getting better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment