Tuesday 24 September 2013

Breaking Bad

In previous posts I have made reference to a couple of TV dramas which I thought might reach the dizzy heights set by the likes of 'The West Wing' and 'The Wire'. I soon lived to regret my words which were to say the least, premature. One of these was 'Arne Dahl' which I abandoned after two episodes. Another was the first season of the French drama, 'The Returned' which I stuck with to the end and quite enjoyed, but it was not in the same league as the aforementioned US dramas.

I erred on the side of caution therefore when I began watching 'Breaking Bad' on the recommendation of my eldest son. I was impressed but thought better of making such rash statements as I had uttered regarding 'The Returned'. Now I am nearing the conclusion of the third season and I am blown away by it.

If you are not familiar with it or have not begun watching then I don't wish to give anything away but the storyline concerns a chemistry teacher (Walter White, superbly played by Bryan Cranston) who is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. Realising he has little time remaining in which to raise money to support his family, he embarks on the manufacture and sale of methamphetamine.

Needless to say things do not go entirely according to plan but I shall reveal no more.

The series was created by Vince Gilligan and is set in Alberquerque, New Mexico. The settings and soundtrack are atmospheric, the story lines are strong and the scripts and acting are superb. I wonder then why no one I speak with has watched it - or, in many cases, even heard of it. Perhaps this is to do with the fact that it is broadcast on the AMC Cable Network.

Whatever the reason, it appears that word is spreading fast and my views (and those of my son) are vindicated by the fact that the show won the award for best TV drama at the 65th Emmy Awards ceremony in Los Angeles.

If you are a fan of great dramas I suggest you catch it soon. You can thank me later.


No comments:

Post a Comment