Tuesday 8 May 2012

A post Bank Holiday walk

Walking has long been something of a passion for me, either with friends or alone. It's hard to think of a more effective way to clear the head, blow away the cobwebs, think through a problem or just enjoy sunshine and good scenery. Thankfully in the north east of England we are blessed with great scenery (if not always sunshine) and some of it is within easy walking distance of where I live.

A walk I had arranged with friends for tomorrow had to be postponed until next week, so as the sun was shining today, I pulled on my walking shoes and headed towards the coast. I soon found myself on  the historic North Shields Fish Quay and took the riverside route towards Tynemouth. The notorious Black Midden rocks were well exposed at low tide and several men searched among them for stranded shell fish.






I arrived in Tynemouth just as dark storm clouds began to gather but they added to the drama of the photographs of the castle, priory and beach. The north east weather had struck again but luckily I was near a shelter and the heavy shower lasted no more than ten minutes.



The view across Tynemouth Long Sands either south towards the castle and priory or north towards Cullercoats, must be one of the best in the whole region and I never tire of it. It changes constantly with the light and the weather. The picturesque village of Cullercoats was my final stop of the day and once again I took in a favourite view. No wonder this area was the haunt of artists such as Winslow Homer, John Falconar Slater and Robert Jobling.



The weather was turning once more so I headed towards home feeling far better for my excursion. I must have been walking at a cracking pace if this speed sign is anything to go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment