Monday 14 May 2012

The Sad State of British TV

I don't know what it is about UK TV at the moment but we seem to be in a sad state. Unless you're a fan of soap operas, period dramas, so called reality TV, makeover programmes, cookery or antiques, there is little to entertain you regardless of how super-duper your state of the art HD plasma-screen box might be.

I mean, let's face it, Eastenders is bloody miserable, Corrie hasn't been the same since Stan Ogden snuffed it and how many TV chefs do we need for Pete's sake? Even the current series of The Apprentice seems disappointing somehow. I don't know if it is becoming repetitive or if the current contenders are a pale imitation of their predecessors (come back Stuart Baggs - all is forgiven). All in all, it's a sad state of affairs.

A few years ago I turned to the American HBO dramas such as 'The West Wing', 'The Sopranos' and in my opinion the best of all, 'The Wire'. Possibly the best drama ever to appear on the small screen. Now, I am turning my attention to Scandinavia.

I first became acquainted with Scandinavian crime drama when a work colleague (thanks Linda) recommended and then loaned me 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' by Stieg Larsson. I devoured that as well as the other books in the 'Millennium' trilogy but as we all know, Larsson died and therefore there is no more good Scandinavian drama. Or so I thought until I discovered the work of Norwegian writer, Jo Nesbo. I have spent the last few months working my way through his Harry Hole novels and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. The violence in some of the books may not be to everyone's taste but they are well written and cracking stories. If you are more familiar with the books of Ian Rankin, then I would cautiously suggest that Harry Hole is a Norwegian equivalent of John Rebus. A great detective but a rather flawed human being.

So what you might ask has this to do with TV?

Well, Scandinavian drama is now invading our TV screens courtesy of the BBC. 'Wallender' set the tone but was followed by the superb Danish drama 'The Killing'. Featuring the quirky female detective Sarah Lund, the first series rapidly became compulsive viewing. A second series followed and a third is on its way. Next to grace our screens was a Danish political drama 'Borgen'. All I can say is, more please!

The current offering, this time a joint Swedish/Danish production called 'The Bridge', is now nearing its climax on BBC4. Featuring Saga Noren a socially inept female detective, it is certainly giving the others a run for their money. What sets all of these series apart from the rather dull fare we are usually served, are the slow moving but compulsive story lines, intelligent scripts, atmospheric settings and brilliant, interesting characters. I strongly recommend that you catch these whenever you can. They offer a genuine alternative to falling asleep in front of 'The Voice'.

I even feel that I'm starting to understand bits of Danish. What I don't understand is why British writers and producers can't come up with something as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment