Sunday 27 May 2012

Neil Young's Americana - A Revised Opinion

On 11th May I blogged on the subject of hearing the first song released from the forthcoming album 'Americana' by Neil Young & Crazy Horse. Despite my initial apathy towards an album of American folk classics, upon hearing the track 'Oh Susanna', I was suitably impressed and looking forward to the release date early in June.

I have carefully avoided listening to other tracks from the album that have been trickling out via the internet since my original post. It was my decision to wait for the album release and reserve judgement until then, however my curiosity got the better of me and I have the given the album closer 'God Save The Queen' a listen.Young's decision to include this song has caused a certain amount of controversy being our national anthem performed by a Canadian who has lived in the USA for most of his life.

Neil Young And Crazy Horse Stream Cover Of "God Save The Queen" (Video)

I am as patriotic as the next Englishman but I have never particularly liked our anthem as a song. Frankly it doesn't move me or stir my patriotic juices. (I find 'Land of Hope and Glory' more stirring and 'Jerusalem' more moving). I am not offended or insulted by it being performed by a Canadian and a bunch of American rockers but I was intrigued to hear how they would approach it.

Well the track begins with Young playing the melody on grungy electric guitar over a ponderous (and monotonous) drum beat. Briefly a choir comes in before Young begins singing the familiar words. About half way through, the choir take over singing the melody and so it continues until thankfully the song ends.

In my opinion, it is dreadful!

This is something I have listened to once and never wish to hear again. I ended my last blog on this subject by saying roll on 5th June (the album release date) but after hearing this tosh, I return to my original apathy about the whole project. Roll on the first album of original songs from the reunited Neil Young & Crazy Horse, which I hear is scheduled for later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment