Saturday 31 March 2012

More Harold McNair and Electric Eden


It's strange that yesterday I should write about Harold McNair following my chance hearing of him accompanying Donovan. I don't think I have read anything at all about McNair since his obituary appeared in the music press in 1971. Yet coincidentally I am currently reading a book entitled 'Electric Eden' by Rob Young and lo and behold Harold McNair makes a surprise appearance.

I'm not half way through the book yet but I am enjoying it very much indeed. It covers the development of folk music in Britain during the 20th century. From Ralph Vaughan Williams and Gustav Holst, through the collecting work of Cecil Sharp and the early folk clubs run by A.L. Lloyd and Ewen MacColl. Then into the folk 'boom' of the early 60's focusing on people like Martin Carthy, Bert Jansch, Anne Briggs, Davy Graham and others. There are extensive sections covering Pentangle, Steeleye Span (perhaps not as extensive as they deserve but this I suspect is more to do with the personal taste of the author), Fairport Convention, Nick Drake and John Martyn.

That's as far as I have got at the moment but as I rattle through it you can be assured I will have more to say on this subject in a future blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment