Sunday 1 April 2012

Drum Solos

During the Jack Bruce gig, I think at the end of  'White Room' we were "treated" to a drum solo by Frank Tontoh. Now don't get me wrong, Mr Tontoh is clearly a very fine drummer and I'm sure he appreciated the opportunity to demonstrate his skills, but frankly drum solos aren't really my thing. And judging by the queues forming at the toilets during the said solo, I suspect I am not alone.

It all took me back to the early 70's when the twenty minute drum solo was obligatory for every band. But at least then we knew it was coming. As soon as it started and the rest of the band ambled off stage to have a deserved cuppa lovingly prepared by their roadies, that was the signal for half the audience to dash to the bar, sink a pint and then return twenty minutes later just in time to see the refreshed band members returning to the stage. Round of applause for the solo few of us had heard and then it was on with the show.

Thanks to the pre-gig pints I had supped last night, my call of nature meant I almost missed 'White Room'. Had we been forewarned that there was to be a ten minute drum solo, I'm sure I could have hung on a bit longer. So, here's a suggestion for concert promoters. If the band are planning a drum solo, can some sort of warning be posted on the ticket just so we know that we will have time to have another pint, visit the loo or whatever. At my time of life it helps to plan ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment