Tuesday 3 April 2012

English Weather - What's Going Ahn

It seems that the British weather still has the capacity to surprise us.

Two weeks ago I played my first round of golf of the year in beautiful sunshine and temperatures in the low twenties. Bear in mind this was still the middle of March and in the north east of England.

Exactly one week ago I was out walking with three pals in the beautiful countryside of the Tyne Valley. Once again the sun shone, there were blue skies and temperatures soared to the mid twenties. Spring had well and truly arrived. The lack of rain had brought the usual talk of droughts and for the southern counties, hose-pipe bans. It was as if summer had arrived early.

Today I headed to the golf course once more but with lower expectations. I had seen the weather forecast with silly talk of snow in some parts of the country. Rubbish, I thought. How can we go from the summer conditions of last week to winter in the space of a few days? I soon found out! On my forty five minute journey to the golf course (once more back in the idyllic Tyne Valley) the temperature dropped six degrees. Upon arrival the rain was coming down sideways in a freezing northerly wind. As I donned my waterproofs the rain turned to sleet and my hands became so frozen I was unable to lace up my golf shoes.

I've now been on this planet for 60 years, have lived all of those years in Britain and most of them in the north east of England - yet I am still surpised by the weather that nature throws at us. As Big Star once said, "What's Going Ahn?"

No comments:

Post a Comment