Friday 30 March 2012

Harold McNair (flautist extraordinaire)

With my music player on shuffle as I am inclined to do when I can't decide what to listen to, I was suddenly stopped in my tracks by the strains of Donovan's 'Writer in the Sun'. It wasn't so much the song itself, though a fine song it is, but the accompanying flute that particularly attracted my interest. The musician in question was a certain Mr Harold McNair.

I first became acquainted with his work through hearing the track 'Dusty' by John Martyn featured on the Island sampler 'You Can All Join In' released in 1969. Or it might have been through Donovan when I bought the 'Donovan in Concert' album at about the same same.  It was only later that I realised that McNair had been involved in most of Donovan's other work also.

Of mixed race, McNair was born in Jamaica in 1931 and first arrived in Britain in 1960 after a spell touring Europe with Quincy Jones. In London his reputation grew and he was soon a regular on flute and sax at Ronnie Scott's Club in Soho. In the early 60's he contributed sax to the James Bond movie 'Dr. No'. Possibly because of his Jamaican background, McNair was signed to Chris Blackwell's Island Records label and in 1965 he released his first album under his own name 'Affectionate Fink' utilising Ornette Coleman's rhythm section.

McNair first played with Donovan during the recording of the latter's 'Sunny Goodge Street' and he was then hired for subsequent sessions during which the Donovan album 'Sunshine Superman' was recorded in Abbey Road Studios with The Beatles recording 'Revolver' in the studio next door.

McNair went on to record with many other artists during the 60's including John Martyn, Alexis Korner, CCS and Davy Graham.  His own album 'The Fence' featured Steve Winwood on piano and organ and the interplay between the two on the title track is superb. The album is now available on CD with bonus tracks and in my opinion is well worth getting - I'm listening to it as I write. One of the bonus tracks is the Lennon/McCartney song 'Here ,There and Everywhere', perhaps first heard by McNair when they shared neighbouring studios in Abbey Road. I used to possess his album 'Flute & Nut' on vinyl but sadly that went the way of all my other vinyl.

I only saw Harold McNair live once, probably around 1970 when he was one of a dozen or more musicians on stage at Newcastle City Hall as part of Ginger Baker's Airforce. Sadly I never got another chance to see him and the world was robbed of a fine musician when he succumbed to lung cancer on 7th March 1971. He was aged just 39.

At the time I write this I believe that the only record in his own name available on CD is the aforementioned 'The Fence'. Until that travesty is corrected, dig out his work with Donovan and others. I personally recommend 'Donovan in Concert' and 'The Tumbler' by John Martyn which features the great track 'Dusty'.


9 comments:

  1. Indeed the music of Harold McNair is a very magic experience. I try to get everything about him on ebay and elsewhere (even the early calypso-jazz recordings).
    Last year Vocalion announced a new cd release: http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.
    asp?prod=CDSML8494
    Unfortunately I can find only little footage about him. Merely a few seconds are visible on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsqPxEzInoQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX-508eJd74
    Then there are the films `All Night Long` and `Island Women` with him as background player.
    Dare I ask, if there is any other material known to you?

    Best wishes

    Wolfgang Hendrich
    Bochum, Germany



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Wolfgang. Thankyou for your comments and for those links.
      I have a copy of 'The Fence' and also recently acquired 'Flute & Nut' but that is all I possess by McNair. Although he appears on many records from that era by other artists, there was actually very little released under his own name.
      I believe there was a 1964 album credited to The Harold McNair Quintet entitled 'Up In The Air With Harold McNair' and also a 1965 album by his quartet called 'Affectionate Fink'. I would love to obtain copies of these but I do not believe they are available on CD. There may also be a live 1961 album recorded at Ronnie Scott's.
      If you should come across these or any other recordings by him, I would love to hear from you.
      Best wishes
      Eddie

      Delete
    2. Hello Eddie,

      at present I own these vinyls:

      “Hits From Bahama Hot Spots“
      Recorded at Blackbeard`s Tavern and Junkanoo Club, Nassau, Bahamas
      Bahama Records Ltd. ZTEP 25313 (℗1956)
      One track with Harold McNair “Drive Her Home”

      “Bacchanal At The Chez Paul Meeres Club”, Nassau, Bahamas
      Carib LP-2004 (℗1958)
      Little G aka Harold McNair on two tracks
      “Laura” and “Limbo”

      “Bahama Bash” featuring the voice and saxophone of Little G
      Rank Records RM 316 (℗1960)
      12 tracks by Harold McNair

      “Zoot at Ronnie Scott`s”
      Fontana 680 989 TL (℗1962)
      featuring The Harold McNair Quartet on two tracks
      “Tangerine” and Harry Flicks”

      “Up In The Air With Harold McNair”
      Bahamian Rhythms Ltd. B Rh 43 (℗1964)
      10 tracks

      “Harold McNair”
      RCA SF 7969 (℗1968)
      7 tracks

      “Flute & Nut”
      RCA International INTS 1096 (℗1970)
      8 tracks

      “Jon Hendricks Live”
      at “Club Franz”, Stanhope Place, London, W.2
      Fontana 6438 019 (1970)
      10 tracks, Harold McNair as sideman

      “The Fence”
      B&C Records CAS 1016 (℗1970)
      5 tracks

      “Harold McNair”
      B&C Records CAS 1045 (℗1972)
      7 tracks
      “Spacecraft” recorded live 1970 with friends

      To get "Affectionate Fink" is almost impossible. Apart from that one would have to spend a fortune for the record. At least I`ve found out a source to get a legal copy.

      Best wishes
      Wolfgang

      Delete
    3. Well Wolfgang, I'm impressed and slightly envious that you own those. There are some there that I have never heard of.
      Thanks for giving me the details. I will have to continue my quest to get these on CD.
      :-)

      Delete
    4. Well alright Eddie,
      I`ll do my best. However, first of all I`ve to set the technical stages for digitalization, recording and audio restoring. This could last awhile. If you like to contact me in the meantime, please send an e-mail to wolf.hend(at)yahoo.de.
      Best wishes
      Wolfgang

      Delete
  2. Did Harold McNair have any marriages or children? Any known relatives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no knowledge of any marriage or of his relatives.
      Sorry.

      Delete
  3. Hi Eddie and Anonymous
    How great it was to find you guys writing about Harold. He was my uncle and my mother was his sister. I have listened to Harold´s music all my life and rarely a day goes by when a track of his doesn´t come up on my ipod. He was married and seemed to have packed in a lot of living despite going at a young age.
    Anonymous, you have a lot of material that I have tried for years to get hold of. I would love a copy of some of it.
    Regards
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dave

      Thank you so much for getting in touch. This is a real treat being in contact with a close relative of one of my musical heroes.

      Did you know Harold personally or are you too young?



      I would be happy to share anything I have with you. Wolfgang has a greater collection of his work that I have but he has been incredibly generous and has sent me copies of a couple of albums featuring Harold. With Wolfgang's permission I would gladly share these also if it makes things easier. Are you based in the UK?



      Please keep in touch and let me know what you would like.

      Thanks again for your contact.

      Best wishes

      Eddie
      eddie.graham2@btopenworld.com

      Delete