Sunday 25 March 2012

Why The White Room?

You may be wondering why I chose to name this blog Musings From The White Room.


Faced with having to come up with some sort of title, I gazed out of the window with some music playing on random shuffle in the background. As Midlake's 'Roscoe' faded out, the distinctive opening chords of the next song began. It was 'White Room' by Cream.


Now 'White Room' has always been one of my favourite songs, in fact when a bunch of mates recently decided we should all do a CD containing our own Desert Island Discs, my selection included that very song. Released on the album 'Wheels of Fire' in July 1968, it was also released as a single in September that year.  I love not only the melody and the performance overall, but particularly the poetic, psychedelic lyrics of Pete Brown who co-wrote the song with Jack Bruce.


I loved lines like 'silver horses ran down moonbeams in her dark eyes'. They don't write them like that any more.

Incidentally the song was originally written to be included on the 1967 album 'Disraeli Gears' but it was deemed to be too similar in style to 'Tales of Brave Ulysses' which ironically wasn't written by Bruce/Brown but by Eric Clapton and Martin Sharp.

Speaking of Jack Bruce, I will be going to see him play at the Tyne Theatre in Newcastle in a few days time. I'm sure there will be more on that to follow.




No comments:

Post a Comment