Wednesday 23 September 2015

Where Will It All End? (The Mystery of 3D Printers).

I don't have a technical bone in my body or cell in my brain for that matter. And science I'm afraid leaves me totally mystified. I can just about get by with simple human biology but the nearest I ever got to enjoying chemistry was watching episodes of 'Breaking Bad'. As for physics - well don't get me started.

So, the concept of producing real objects using a 3D printer just leaves me scratching my head. This video comes closer than anything else to helping me to understand what 3D printing actually is but it still left me a long way from actually believing it could be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0EJmBoLq-g


On Monday evening however, I had my first experience of actually seeing and touching an object that had been totally created by a 3D printer. No, it's not a toy guitar, but a ukulele (a real, playable instrument). On first glance I thought it had been constructed from Lego but then I was told the unbelievable truth. Apart from the tuning pegs and the strings, every part of this had been "printed".

Totally amazing!

Where will it all end I wonder?


No comments:

Post a Comment