Wednesday 16 September 2015

Los Alcázares

Escaping the oppressive heat of the city of Murcia, last week I visited one of my favourite spots on the Murcian coast. Los Alcázares is situated on the western shore of the Mar Menor, a salty body of water that is separated from the Mediterranean by a narrow spit of land called La Manga. 



Outside of the main season and especially early in the morning when the beaches are almost empty, the calm waters can make this one of the most tranquil spots I know. I certainly find it a wonderful place to take a good healthy walk.

But not before a spot of breakfast. 
Once refreshed, I set off on my walk, noticing that others had more leisurely pursuits in mind.

One of the spots I always pop into is the historic Hotel La Encarnacion which features a central courtyard area that appears to be something out of colonial India with it's wicker furniture, trailing ferns and potted palms. It is a cool oasis on a hot day and always worth a visit. 



Finally I dragged myself away from this wonderful location bathed in glorious sunshine. Who would have thought that within ten minutes I would run into a thunderstorm of Biblical proportions? Roads were flooded, cars were abandoned and torrents of water were gushing down hillsides leaving total carnage in their wake. And all in a matter of minutes.

As I negotiated the flooded roads that leisurely breakfast in the sunshine suddenly seemed a distant memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment