Monday 14 September 2015

Ian Anderson performs Jethro Tull, A Rock Opera at Sage Gateshead

By my reckoning I saw Jethro Tull three or perhaps four times during the late 1960's and early 1970's. I then took a break of over 30 years before catching them at Newcastle City Hall in 2008 during what was billed as their 40th anniversary tour. A couple of years later I then saw them again in of all places, a marquee tent in South Shields. They were enjoyable but there were already signs that Ian Anderson's voice was not quite what it had once been.


Anderson is now 68 years old, he and long time collaborator Martin Barre have gone their separate ways and to all intents and purposes, Jethro Tull no longer exist as a band. However, Anderson continues to record and perform under his own name and his latest live project is "Jethro Tull - A Rock Opera". It is a concept very loosely based upon the life of the real life 18th century agriculturalist from whom the band took their name. However the story is transferred into modern times to incorporate messages concerning climate change, GM crops and animal cloning. At the mention of the term "rock opera" I didn't exactly recoil in horror, but my recollections of Anderson's failing vocal ability helped me to decide that this show was not for me.

However, a pal offered me a free ticket for Sunday evening's performance at Sage Gateshead and I felt it would be impolite to turn it down. Nevertheless I went along with mixed feelings and certain reservations.

I also came away with mixed feelings and certain reservations. Let me explain.

The stage show makes considerable use of video footage to aid in telling the story of Jethro Tull. The videos also feature a number of "guests" who play the parts of the young Tull, the older Tull and Tull's wife Susannah. As they do a considerable amount of the singing, I feel it is a very clever ploy on the part of Anderson to allow him to deliver a two hour show which I feel certain his voice would no longer be able to sustain. And of course Anderson is also surrounded by a fine group of young musicians. Full marks to him then for ingenuity in coming up with this way round his shortcomings.

Nevertheless despite giving him credit for this, I was left feeling a little short changed as much of what we were hearing was pre-recorded, but I had come to see a live performance. Hence my mixed feelings and reservations.

On a more positive note I have to say that the selection and quality of the music was first class. Anderson tells the Jethro Tull story using older material from the glory days of his former band mixed with a handful of brand new numbers. As expected it was the older stuff that appealed more to me and I gather to the crowd around me. Although usually regarded as a progressive rock band, there was always an element of Jethro Tull's music that was rooted in English folk. Consequently there are many songs with a vaguely pastoral theme that could be utilised to tell the story of an agriculturalist. These included 'Heavy Horses', 'Songs From the Wood', 'Jack in the Green' and 'Farm on the Freeway'. Somehow Anderson was also able to weave in old favourites like 'Aqualung', 'With You There To Help Me', 'Living in the Past' and 'Locomotive Breath'. The links with an agricultural theme seemed tenuous but I had no complaints as these were some of Jethro Tull's finest moments.

The programme was divided into two sets and it was pleasing that the second part featured more actual singing from Anderson himself. The section featuring 'Living in the Past', 'Jack in the Green' and 'The Witch's Promise' was particularly impressive but despite the quality of the musicians on show, it wasn't Jethro Tull. 

And perhaps for me, that was the main problem.

Now, where did I put my copy of 'Stand Up'?

No comments:

Post a Comment