Thursday 2 October 2014

Leonard Cohen - Popular Problems

I found 'Old Ideas' (2012) to be something of a return to form for Cohen and 'Popular Problems' continues that trend. If you are familiar with his last album then this will present no surprises. Cohen surrounds himself with wonderful musicians who flesh out the sound and develop the melodies that Cohen's voice is no longer able to quite manage. Well, he can be excused that as he turned 80 a couple of weeks ago so it is something of a wonder that he is still creating music at all, let alone stuff this good. The real singing is now left to the female backing vocalists who do a wonderful job of complementing Cohen's whispered growl.

Of course there are those who feel that like Dylan, Cohen could never really sing anyway. I understand such views but don't subscribe to them. I do however feel that Cohen has adapted better to the advancing years. Perhaps Dylan needs to take a leaf out of his book regarding the fine musicians and backing singers.

Despite the support Cohen receives, it is to his voice that we listen. He began as a poet and although his words have long been set to music, it is those words that demand our attention. He rarely wastes one. The themes may not have changed all that much, hence the subjects of sex and death recur as on the album opener 'Slow'. Not that all of these songs are entirely new. 'Born in Chains', 'Nevermind', 'A Street' and 'My Oh My' have all existed, as poems at least. for a number of years. 

With Cohen's first albums, I loved the bare stripped down feel which was at odds with almost everything else that was around in the late 1960's. Now I believe he needs the support of those musicians who provide subtle organ and piano riffs or soulful horns, but his words and images are as powerful and as relevant now as they were back then. With the wisdom of age, perhaps even more so. Of course everything doesn't work. In my view the upbeat country sections that fill the gaps between Cohen's more sombre verses in 'Did I Ever Love You?' are superfluous to the song. I can't clear my mind of images of stetson wearing line dancers which detract from the song lyrics. That's just a personal view though and it hardly spoils my enjoyment of this wonderful album.

There's clearly life in the old dog yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment