Monday 20 October 2014

Books #16 - The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

I first became acquainted with the author David Mitchell through his strange but fascinating novel, 'Cloud Atlas'. I say strange because at the time it was unlike any novel I had ever read, consisting of seven separate stories set in vastly different time periods, but which all connected in some way. The fact that the reader might just be getting absorbed in one of the stories only for it to end, quite literally in mid sentence, only added to the uniqueness of the book. Of course each story was subsequently later picked up from the precise point it ended. It was an unusual writing technique but one I found to be very successful.

This idea of having parts of a novel interlink with other parts is something that Mitchell extends into his other works also. For example characters that appeared in 'Cloud Atlas' re-emerged in a different time in 'Black Swan Green' and so it is with this latest work.

'The Bone Clocks' is also a work which spans different generations (though not quite to the extent of 'Cloud Atlas'). Beginning in 1984, the story eventually takes us through to the future of 2035. Each part is narrated by a different character who may or may not have appeared earlier in the book. One such character is Hugo Lamb who originally appeared in 'Black Swan Green'. The writer Crispin Hershey had earlier appeared in 'number9dream' and so it goes on. Where Mitchell demonstrates real skill is the way in which his style of writing changes depending upon the character acting as narrator in each part. It is a very clever technique and combined with his great descriptive powers and brilliantly inventive imagination, shows Mitchell to be a first class writer. It is little wonder that all of his books now receive such great critical acclaim and are invariably included in short-lists for various literary prizes.

I will not give anything away about the plot of the book. At 600 pages it is quite involved anyway, but never once during reading it did my interest wane. In fact, I feel certain that like 'Cloud Atlas' it is a book I will read more than once and that I may then discover things I missed during my first reading.

I am loathe to recommend the works of David Mitchell to others. I did so unreservedly with 'Cloud Atlas' to friends and work colleagues with very mixed results. Some loved it while others hated it. There did not appear to be any middle ground.

All I will say is that if you love and appreciate great writing and a compelling storyline, then give it a go.

The hardback is available now, published by Sceptre.

No comments:

Post a Comment