Thursday 22 August 2013

Barter Books, Alnwick, Northumberland

Yesterday I paid a visit to probably my favourite second hand book shop in the country.

Barter Books is situated in the old station building in the small Northumbrian town of Alnwick. Within a lovely setting, are a vast array of second hand books, so book lovers like myself can easily while away several hours just browsing, or sitting in one of the many comfortable chairs while drinking freshly percolated coffee and nibbling the wonderful homemade cookies.


The old waiting room has been converted into a splendid lounge where meals or snacks can be brought to you by the friendly cafeteria staff. 

During the winter months, open fires ensure that the rooms stay nice and cosy - even on the coldest of Northumbrian winter days.









The shop was opened in 1991 by Stuart and Mary Manley and it has continued to grow and to thrive, quite deservedly in my view.


This being the English school summer holidays, there were of course quite a few families present during my visit, but thankfully there are plenty of books to keep children occupied.






That is when they are not watching the model railways that pass overhead on tracks suspended between the many bookcases.

Well, this was a railway station after all!










As usual, my own bookshelves are beginning to overflow, so it was a good opportunity to take a few books along to trade at the shop. I always feel that I am offered a fair price for them and I have built up a nice bit of credit for when I find that special something I have been searching for.











That didn't happen on this occasion, so I just contented myself with a good browse, a relaxing cup of coffee and then an enjoyable journey back home.



I'm sure it won't be my last visit this year.


If you wish to know more about Barter Books, check out the website on the following link.


http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/html/About%20Us/The%20Bookshop.php

No comments:

Post a Comment