Tuesday 20 August 2013

Club A'Gogo, Newcastle upon Tyne



I recently made reference to the Club-A-Gogo which was a Newcastle upon Tyne nightspot back in the 1960's. Created by entrepreneur Mike Jeffery (who later managed The Animals) the club was situated in Percy Street, not too far from the famous football ground, St James' Park. A narrow doorway led you up a couple of flights of stairs (the club was above the Corporation Bus canteen) where there were two rooms. On the left was the Young Set and on the right, the supposedly more sophisticated Jazz Lounge.

The list of bands that played the famous club before it's closure in 1972, is too great to mention here but for a while the local band, The Animals were the resident act there.

My own memories of the club are somewhat vague, (well, I was very young at the time). If my memory serves me right, I attended the club four times to see Cream, Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band, Family and on Thursday 20th July 1967, I saw The Alan Bown Set.

You may wonder how I have been able to remember that specific date, well the truth is I can't but I have been helped out by one of the helpful and informative lists of gigs in the book about The Alan Bown Set written by keyboard player Jeff Bannister. The book is called 'The Alan Bown Set - Before and Beyond' published by Banland Publishing. (I suspect this book will be the subject of a future post, so watch this space). Another book to which I have referred in posts, is 'Beefheart: Through The Eyes of Magic'  in which author John 'Drumbo' French also makes reference to the Club-A-Gogo.

The club was supposed to be for over 18's I believe, so looking at that date makes me wonder how I actually got into the place as I was just turned 16! However I was not alone as many of my school friends were also there. Or perhaps the over 18's rule only applied to the Jazz Lounge which was licensed to sell alcohol.

That part of Newcastle was of particular interest to us youngsters during those heady times. Besides the Club-A-Gogo, there was The Handyside Arcade, where we would hang out on a Saturday afternoon, purchasing posters (at the Kard Bar) and searching out second hand records. The Handyside was a Victorian shopping arcade with a glass roof supported by cast iron pillars. It also housed the Ultima Thule bookshop which was I believe the only place in the city that you could buy OZ magazine. A few doors further along Percy Street was Jeavons record store and also the Marcus Price clothing shop where I bought my Ben Sherman shirts and Levi Sta-prest trousers. Cool eh?



Sadly the Handyside Arcade was eventually destroyed by fire and that whole block (including the Club-A-Gogo) was demolished to make way for the new Eldon Gardens shopping complex.

They call it progress, but I'm not so sure.

If anyone reading this happens to have any memories of The Club-A-Gogo or the Handyside Arcade. I'd love to hear from you.

I should add that the club was immortalised in song by The Animals on the B-side of 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood'. Take a listen to Eric Burdon's song  'Club-A-Gogo' here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTAYlWjxUA0

jazzlounge card

1 comment: