Monday 22 July 2013

SummerTyne Americana Festival 2013 - Tom Russell & Thad Beckman

The Sage at Gateshead is annually the venue for the SummerTyne Americana Festival. From a vantage point on the south shore of the Tyne between the iconic Tyne and Millennium Bridges, one can enjoy basking in the afternoon sunshine whilst being entertained by an assortment of Americana acts. And it is all for free!

Of course there are some 'big name' acts who play inside the venue and charge for the privilege. This year they included Martha Wainwright, Willy Mason, Steve Riley & The Mamou Playboys, The Heritage Blues Orchestra and Mud Morganfield. However, on this occasion I decided to restrict myself to the free music and was particularly delighted that the late Sunday afternoon act was Tom Russell, an artist I have paid to see more than once.

To be honest there was not much sunshine to speak of though it was a pleasant enough afternoon. Musically, I was distinctly underwhelmed by the acts until second from last came David Wax Museum who gave a very spirited and quite enjoyable performance. Then Tom Russell and guitarist Thad Beckman took to the stage. To see Tom, one wouldn't know that this was a summer's afternoon as he was well wrapped in a dark long sleeved sweater, scarf and of course his trademark stetson hat and dark shades. Perhaps he had been warned about the biting winds that can whip up the River Tyne even on summer days.




I have not heard his latest album 'Aztec-Jazz', so I was unfamiliar with a couple of numbers but thankfully he delivered two of my personal favourites, 'Blue Wing' and 'Tonight We Ride'. Introducing each number with humorous anecdotes, Tom had the crowd captivated from the start and his set ended all too soon.





After the set, we wandered across the Tyne via the Millenium Bridge into Newcastle to a bar called Brew Dog. Playing there were a group of five young ladies who call themselves Rainbow Girls. Some of my friends had seen them play at the SummerTyne Festival the previous day and were well impressed.


Crowded into a corner at the end of the bar, the girls managed to give an energetic performance, constantly swapping an array of instruments that included guitar, mandolin, banjo, electric bass, washboard, keyboards and harmonica.

The more their set went on the more I warmed to their music and their enthusiasm for what they clearly enjoyed doing. 
They have a current album, 'The Sound of Light' and I will be ordering my copy soon.


Tonight I'm off to the local cinema to see the global launch of the Ridley Scott movie, 'Springsteen & I'. No doubt I will be reporting my views on that in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment