Thursday 18 July 2013

Concerning These New Puritans and The Microphones

There seems to be little time for indoor activities (including blog writing) as I take advantage of the first prolonged spell of warm (nay, hot) sunshine we have had here in the north east of England for some considerable time.

So as I enjoy my early morning coffee before venturing outdoors, I hastily write to let you know that I am still alive and well. Thanks to the wonders of having most of my music collection available to play through my Samsung mobile phone, I can still play my music while I am out and about and yes, I am still enjoying the album 'Field of Reeds' by These New Puritans.

On that subject, I must add that I was contacted recently by someone who suggested that I might like The Microphones, and in particular their album 'The Glow Part 2'. I was told that there was a resemblance to the music contained within 'Field of Reeds'.

The Microphones were an indie band fronted by Washington based singer/musician Phil Elvrum. In 2004, Elvrum changed the name of the band to Mount Eerie and they have operated under that name ever since, though from what I can gather, they appear to have been fairly inactive since 2007.


 'The Glow Part 2' was released in 2001 and was hailed at the time by music critics for the exceptional songwriting and the quality of the production. Occasionally the music is soft and gentle but at other times it is densely layered with a variety of sounds and percussive effects. The album passed me by at the time (I had never heard of The Microphones nor Mount Eerie), but thanks to the contact I have obtained the deluxe version of the album.

I agree that there are strong resemblances to the sounds contained on 'Field of Reeds', particularly in the vocals. And somehow listening to both these albums fits perfectly with the weather we are enjoying at the moment. I'm off walking in the beautiful English Lake District National Park tomorrow, so long may this weather continue.

See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment