Monday 8 April 2013

Northumberland Walks - Warkworth

When I returned from my Easter break it appeared that Spring might actually have arrived. The sun shone, there were blue skies and the fields were full of new-born lambs that didn't stray too far from their mothers. It seemed that some weekend walking was in order though sadly by then the blue skies had mainly disappeared and were replaced by grey clouds. There was also a biting cold wind. Nevertheless I donned the walking boots and on Friday headed up to the Scottish borders for a 12 mile walk from the historic town of Jedburgh and onto the St Cuthbert's Way to end up in the village of Morebattle.

Not having got the walking bug out of my system, I then spent part of the weekend walking from the Northumbrian fishing village of Amble to nearby Warkworth with it's historic 12th century castle overlooking the River Coquet. Being a sucker for walking and history, I feel very fortunate to have such wonderful areas just a short ride from where I live.

I thought in this post I'd just share with you some of the sights of Warkworth.









Should you be interested, you can find out more about Warkworth Castle here:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warkworth_Castle
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/warkworth-castle-and-hermitage/

No comments:

Post a Comment