Wednesday 3 April 2013

Iain Banks

I was never meant to become the messenger of doom and gloom in this blog, but I write on subjects I care about and it is unfortunate that in recent weeks I have felt compelled to comment on the deaths of Kevin Ayers, Jason Molina and Paul Williams. In their own ways they have all meant something to me.

Now I have learned the news that the Scottish author Iain Banks has revealed he has 'late stage cancer' and is unlikely to live more than a year.

I first became aware of his work with the publication of his first novel, 'The Wasp Factory' back in 1984. A strange, macabre but compelling read, it had me yearning for more and thankfully Banks is a very prolific writer. Born in Dunfermline and brought up in North Queensferry, much of his work was clearly influenced by what he experienced and saw around him. Consequently in 1986 with the publication of 'The Bridge'. I could identify with the content as by then I was myself living just a little further along the northern shore of the River Forth, under the shadow of the iconic Forth Railway Bridge.

I subsequently devoured 'Espedair Street' (1987) and 'The Crow Road' (1992) before my personal favourite, 'Complicity' was published in 1993. By then I had left Scotland but the book reminded me of my former home ending as it does on Inchcolm Island in the middle of the Forth.

Banks alternated between his 'mainstream' books published as Iain Banks, and books in the science fiction genre which were published under the name Iain M Banks.

According to fellow Scottish writer, Ian Rankin, Banks recently proposed to his partner with the words 'Will you do me the honour of becoming my widow?' Clearly the dark humour evident in his books is still there.

It is a tragedy that another great talent will be lost to us, possibly before his 60th birthday. I am shocked and saddened by the news but my thoughts are very much with Iain, his family and loved ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment