Monday 4 March 2013

Richard Thompson at The Sage, Gateshead

To promote his recent 'Electric' album, Richard Thompson took to the stage in Hall One of The Sage at Gateshead on Sunday 3 March.

Owing to a 'senior' moment, I nearly missed the gig. Having purchased my ticket some time ago, I had stored it away safely but entered the wrong date into my diary. Ooops! Thankfully while having a beer with friends last week, the subject came round to meeting up for a beer or two before the gig. I thought they were being a bit premature until someone put me right about the date.

As one would expect, the set list revolved around half a dozen songs from the current album mixed in with a few, to use Thompson's tongue-in-cheek phrase, 'old classics'. These included two old Richard & Linda songs, 'Wall of Death' and 'For Shame Of Doing Wrong' and an absolutely scorching version of 'Can't Win' from his 1988 album 'Amnesia'. Things then got a bit more jazzy with, 'Al Bowly's In Heaven'.

Throughout, Thompson was superbly supported by Michael Jerome on drums and Taras Prodaniuk on electric Fender bass and assorted facial expressions. (He looks like he could be a younger brother of Fabio Capello and/or Lou Reed).

Sadly, before we knew it, the band were taking their bows and leaving the stage. Of course, Thompson returned alone having traded his red and white Fender Strat for an acoustic guitar and we were treated to a mini acoustic solo set. This consisted of 'From Galway To Graceland' preceded by fans favourite (and mine), 'Beeswing'. I was struck by the fact that despite having seen Thompson many many times through the years, I don't think I have ever seen him perform that song. A great treat and Thompson made it all look so bloody easy!

He was then reunited with the band and his Stratocaster and made some comments about them yearning to be a power trio. You may recall me jokingly referring to them as a powerhouse trio when I wrote about the 'Electric' album back on 31 January and I facetiously suggested that they may be trying to do a Hendrix or a Cream. I was proved almost right when the band next launched into the opening guitar chords and familiar drum pattern of Cream's 'White Room'. As it happens to be one of my favourite songs (and provided the name for this blog), I was in my element. I never expected to see Richard Thompson play it though.

Finally the band closed with two rockers, 'Stony Ground' from the new album and another old favourite, 'Tear Stained Letter'. The band took their final bows and we happily left the building to the strains of Ringo singing 'Goodnight'.

And it was a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment