Tuesday 5 March 2013

Kevin Ayers Tribute

Although I was out seeing Richard Thompson on Sunday evening, I was alerted to the fact that Stuart Maconie was broadcasting a tribute to Kevin Ayers so I decided I had to give it a listen courtesy of BBC's iPlayer.

He began his tribute by playing the opening track to Ayers' 1971 album 'Whatevershebringswesing' featuring great orchestral arrangements by David Bedford. However the highlight had to be an interview with Robert Wyatt who had come out of self enforced retirement to pay his own tribute to a man who he clearly liked immensely. Humorous anecdotes were told of their initial meeting as teenagers in east Kent, of Ayers inheriting his poshness from his father and of Ayers' tips on how to choose the best Chinese restaurants. It was great stuff and recounted with great fondness.

If you have an interest in Kevin Ayers and missed the show, I highly recommend that you catch it while it is still available.


No comments:

Post a Comment