Saturday 12 March 2016

RIP Keith Emerson

I discovered last night that Keith Emerson had died and have awoken this morning to the even more tragic news that he may have committed suicide. I understand that he was suffering from a condition that made it impossible for him to play his beloved keyboards and consequently chose to end his own life. If true, this is very sad indeed.

I confess that apart from the first album, I was never much of a fan of Emerson, Lake & Palmer but I certainly appreciate what an immense talent, Emerson was. I did quite like his earlier band, The Nice and was fortunate to see them live in the late 1960's performing at The Plaza Ballroom in Tynemouth. To say that he was a showman is a massive understatement.

Emerson is just the latest in an ever growing list of fine musicians who have been taken from us this year. Another signal to us all that we should hang onto life and enjoy every moment while we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment