Tuesday 1 March 2016

Rex Hotel, Whitley Bay

I read in a local paper recently that the Rex Hotel in Whitley Bay is due to close. This will mean absolutely nothing to those of you that do not reside in the north east of England but I felt compelled to scribble a few words because of what the hotel represented for me during my formative years.

For it was in the downstairs ballroom that I first got to see a number of local bands and a few more well known names from farther afield. Among the latter were The Alan Bown in 1969 who had recently replaced vocalist Jess Roden with Robert Palmer, who of course in later years would go on to greater commercial success. Another band I saw there were Family who played a great gig supported by Raw Spirit on 30 October 1969. Local legends Lindisfarne were regulars there but before teaming up with local folk singer Alan Hull. At that stage, they were a blues band performing under the name of Downtown Faction. 


The venue had two stages, one at each end of the massive dance floor. This meant that both the main band and the support could be set up and there was no need for a lengthy break between acts while the sets were changed. There was some seating beneath the overhanging balcony but the majority of seats and tables were on the balcony itself, overlooking the dance floor and stages. I also remember the barman (Don I think he was called) who served up either Newcastle Brown Ale or a mixture of Jubilee Stout and cider which was known as a Black Velvet. (Actually I have since learned that this is a poor man's Black Velvet as the real thing is made with Guinness and sparkling wine). 

Once I was old enough (17) to blag my way into licensed premises, the Rex was my usual haunt on Saturday and Sunday nights. It was very much a part of my musical education and gave me a love of live music that endures to this day.

In recent years I think the hotel itself has had it's share of adverse publicity. Despite it's prime sea front location, with wonderful sea views, the place is obviously in need of renovation and failure to secure the necessary funding has resulted in the closure. Nevertheless, because of my own associations with the building, I will be very sad to see it go. I hope it doesn't join the ever growing list of local music venues that have been demolished. These include Newcastle's Club-a-Gogo and Mayfair Ballroom, the Tynemouth Plaza and the Whitley Bay YMCA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment