Thursday 7 January 2016

Denis Law CBE

I confess that I don't generally take too much notice of the honours that are bestowed upon so called deserving people around the time of the Queen's birthday or New Year. However I did belatedly notice the name of Denis Law in the recent awards. He has been given the CBE (Commander of the Order or the British Empire) for services to football and charity.

Law was my boyhood hero, signed by Manchester United in 1962 a couple of years after I began following the team. Thereafter, despite the presence of the great George Best and Bobby Charlton, Law remained my favourite. And that's how it stayed until the emergence in the 1990's of Eric Cantona.

These days while watching the current crop of United players and seeing another goal scoring opportunity go begging, my son and I will look at each other and wistfully say, "Denis Law would have scored that. Even now - at 75, Denis would have scored that!"

Despite not being a fan of the honours system, I am of course delighted to see The King recognised in this way. 

Congratulations Denis.


No comments:

Post a Comment