Saturday 5 December 2015

The Unthanks at Hexham Abbey


In my last post I spoke of purchasing two vinyl records as a callow 17 year old while working at a country hotel during school holidays. Those records were bought in the historic Northumbrian market town of Hexham which nestles in the Tyne Valley 25 miles west of Newcastle. On that occasion I recall visiting Hexham Abbey which stands on a site that has been a place of worship since the 7th century, though the current building dates from about 1170. I recall being particularly struck by the atmosphere of the place, especially down in the candlelit 7th century Saxon crypt. The experience made an impression on me and Hexham is a town I have returned to fairly frequently ever since, rarely missing an opportunity to revisit the abbey.

I returned last night on a very wild, stormy night and seated on a pew adjacent to the ancient stone steps leading down into the crypt, the sound of the wind outside only added to the atmosphere. It was a perfect setting and no doubt this was one of the reasons why the venue was chosen to host part of the Unthanks 10th anniversary tour. After all, they are Northumbrian girls and know the location very well.

I attended one of two candlelit shows performed by the full 10 piece band last night and whereas the show I attended in Newcastle City Hall in February had focused on the current album, 'Mount The Air', this anniversary show spanned the band's full career. 

It began with just sisters Rachel and Becky on stage singing older material such as Cyril Tawney's 'On a Monday Morning' and 'I Wish I Wish' from 'The Bairns' album. Gradually they were joined on stage by the other band members and the first hint of the latest album came in the form of a stripped down performance of the title track. It was a beautiful rendition but all too short.

We were then taken through more of their repertoire which included wonderful covers of King Crimson's 'Starless' and Elvis Costello's poignant 'Shipbuilding'. From the current album they performed 'Madam' and 'Flutter' before ending their main set with a complete version of the wonderful 'Mount The Air'. Finally as an encore they performed the north-east press-gang ballad, 'Here's the Tender Coming' which had been the title track of their third album in 2009. Throughout the whole performance, the flickering candles and clever use of lighting added to the unique atmosphere of the place.

As we left to brave the elements outside, I reflected that as well as singing beautiful harmonies, the sisters had entertained us with some rather fine Northumbrian clog dancing. I was immediately reminded of the last gig I attended when I witnessed Nils Lofgren and Greg Varlotta tap dancing during 'I Came To Dance'.

I wondered, could I be setting something of a trend here?

I'm next scheduled to see Steven Wilson in January. I'm not expecting him to don clogs or tap shoes, but you never know do you?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment