Tuesday 29 December 2015

My Favourite Albums of 2015

Having earlier listed some of my favourite albums of the year, it is now time to reveal my own personal top three.

At number 3 spot is 'Hand. Cannot. Erase' by Steven Wilson a double concept album that deals with the 2006 discovery of the body of 38 year old Joyce Carol Vincent. It is a shocking and heartbreaking story, but Wilson deals with the subject of Vincent's life in a sensitive way and the songs are by turns, dramatic and spellbindingly beautiful. The contrasts between the light and dark aspects of the story are brilliantly recreated through Wilson's compositions making this album one of his strongest yet. 
I am very much looking forward to seeing live performances of this material when Wilson visits these part next month.

My second favourite album of the year is 'Primrose Green' by Ryley Walker. As I said when I originally wrote about this album in May, it is impossible to hear the album without thinking of John Martyn, Bert Jansch, Van Morrison and Tim Buckley - yet Walker proves through his songwriting, guitar playing and singing that he is a major talent in his own right. Also credit must go to the wonderful musicians who ably support him on this album. 
I am also looking forward to seeing him perform live accompanied by renowned bassist Danny Thompson, in February next year.

Finally we come to my absolute favourite album of the year. And no, I have not been influenced by the fact that the Unthanks just happen to come from my part of the world - the north east of England. The majestic album 'Mount the Air' just happens to be, in my opinion, the best thing I have listened to this year. I was also fortunate enough to see them perform live on two occasions and those experiences confirmed my view that the Unthanks are a major talent and will very soon gain the kind of recognition they so thoroughly deserve. 
The title song is itself worth the price of the album. Based upon a traditional piece which in 1958 found it's way into the Dorset Book of Folk Songs, the band have cleverly introduced elements of Miles Davis' 1958 album 'Sketches of Spain' and produced a piece of music which at 10 minutes in length, still feels too short.
For your enjoyment, here is a link to that very track. Enjoy!
'Mount The Air'



No comments:

Post a Comment