Monday 31 August 2015

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase

When I last spoke of this album, my report concerned itself more with the story behind the concept of the recording.

As I was still in the early stages of absorbing the content, I hinted that I might need more time to make an accurate assessment of this double album.

Two months on, I find that my persistence has indeed paid off. Once again Steven Wilson has produced an album that will be vying for the accolade of album of the year - well, in the White Room at least.  

Less jazzy than it's predecessor 'The Raven That Refused To Sing' the music still maintains most of the elements that have made Wilson and his band Porcupine Tree so successful. And of course Wilson, who has been entrusted with the remastering of back catalogues of King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes and XTC, always ensures that his albums sound absolutely perfect. Of course the subject matter I referred to earlier, that of Joyce Vincent withdrawing into the the "safety" of social media, means that the album has poignant and unsettling moments. But the beauty and complexity of the music keeps the listener spellbound and interested throughout. 

The band are currently touring to promote the album and I see that a few UK dates have been added in January including one at Newcastle's City Hall. Having enjoyed him so much on his last visit, I have secured my ticket.


No comments:

Post a Comment