Wednesday 10 June 2015

Music Reviews - Are They Still Relevant?

I wrote recently about how reading an NME review of the debut Roxy Music album in July 1972 inspired me to rush out and buy that album. Back in those heady days when so much music was sublime but funds were tight, it would be commonplace for me and my friends (and millions other like us) to be swayed by the words of our favourite music critics. We knew who we could trust and if they said an album was good, then it was usually good. Our meagre pocket money or salary would be handed over the record store counter and treasured LP records would be proudly carried home and played until they virtually wore out.

Now we are living in different times. In this internet age, anyone with a computer can readily and easily listen to pretty much anything they desire. I routinely provide links myself to tracks on YouTube. Spotify would be yet another option. I personally cannot recall ever failing to find a specific track I have been seeking on one or other of these mediums. And there are dozens more like them. Also, it is becoming easier than ever to hear streams of songs or even albums weeks, or in some cases, months before they are officially released. Consequently we can hear the music ourselves and make our own decision as to whether it is worthy of our hard earned cash.

Which obviously raises an interesting question. Is there any longer a need for music reviews?

True I will read reviews for new books and films as these are harder for me to obtain or visit the cinema to see without splashing some cash. But I now find that I never read music reviews. Or to be more accurate, I listen to the music first, make my own mind up (and occasionally provide my own thoughts on these pages) and only then do I sometimes have a glance at sites like Pitchfork or Metacritic to read what others think. This is quite deliberate. I want to make up my own mind about a product without being influenced by the thoughts and opinions of people I don't know. On the other hand, I will gladly accept recommendations from friends whose opinions I respect and whose tastes I generally share. 

As these random thoughts were passing through my mind, I tried to recall the last time a music review influenced me to make a purchase. After much deliberation I decided it was June 2013 when, on a rail journey to London I read a newspaper review of a forthcoming album by These New Puritans. The album was 'Field of Reeds',  the review intrigued me and anyone who has regularly read my scribblings will know how highly I rate that album. That was a rare event indeed.

So what about the role of a music review to recommend a product? As I have said I will accept suggestions from friends but is that not restricting me to a relatively small circle of recommendations consequently confining my musical tastes? In my own case I believe I can honestly give a negative answer to that question. My own musical tastes, as I trust these pages will testify, include rock, pop, jazz, blues, soul, folk, bluegrass and avant garde music. To open my mind and ears to new music I only need to play a themed radio program or a so-called 'curated playlist' on Spotify or Pandora or any number of other alternatives offering music in any number of musical genres you care to name. Recent "discoveries" using this method have included Keb Mo, Inge Thomson, Lord Huron, Bill Frisell, Kathryn Williams and the Wave Pictures. A pretty diverse bunch I think you will agree.
I'm not saying that this method is infallible and that some very good stuff will slip through my 'net' but by and large it works for me.

So, is there a role for music reviews in this day and age and if so what is it? Maybe you would care to share your views.







No comments:

Post a Comment