Thursday 20 November 2014

Robert Plant & Sensational Space Shifters at Newcastle Academy

I last saw Robert Plant performing live 12 years ago at Newcastle City Hall but was unable to see him at the Sage in 2005. I made sure therefore that I secured my ticket in plenty of time for his appearance on Tuesday evening at the Newcastle Academy.

It is not my favourite venue to be fair. Originally the New Westgate Picture House (opened in 1927), the building subsequently became the Majestic Ballroom and later a bingo hall. It was eventually converted into a music venue in 2005 but in my experience I have never been entirely satisfied with the sound there, perhaps something to do with the acoustics of the building. Having said that, I could find no fault with the sound on Tuesday. Plant's sound crew seem to have got it spot on though it could have been just a touch louder.

Visually too, the crew did a great job with stage lighting effects. That is what I could see of them. It strikes me that I am either shrinking with age (when I last checked I was 5' 8"" tall) or people are becoming much taller. I suspect in reality it is a bit of both. Anyway the result is that I spent a couple of hours on tip-toes trying to peer between the taller people in front of me. That was when I wasn't moving out of the way to allow people to go backwards and forwards between the bars and the toilets. Such are the joys of standing only venues. Perhaps I should in future confine myself to seated halls or at least some of the many smaller standing venues of which we are blessed with many in this area.

Of course, the problem was also of my own making. Meeting with friends for a pre-show pint or two, we elected to remain in the nearby Bodega pub until just before showtime. Consequently we were unable to fight our way through the 2000 strong crowd to get closer to the stage. Those that had chosen to arrive early and claim prime spots deserved their better view.

At exactly 9.15, Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters took to the stage and launched into 'Friends', the first of six numbers written or covered by Led Zeppelin. That was the first surprise for me as having not bothered to check any of the tour setlists, I was expecting much more from his latest album, 'Lullaby.... and the Ceaseless Roar'. Plant may not be able to attain the higher registers that made him famous, but the older songs are adjusted to suit his range and he makes a terrific job of all of the numbers. Of course he is also ably supported by some excellent musicians. Highlights for me included 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' featuring some great acoustic guitar from Liverpudlian Liam 'Skin' Tyson and the wonderful 'What Is and What Should Never Be'. The Led Zeppelin songs are given a new dimension through the electronic wizardry of keyboards man John Baggott and the ritti of Juldeh Camarah. And of course there is Justin Adams on guitar.

To acknowledge the fact that they were performing in the home town of The Animals, the medley of 'Just Want to Make Love to You / Whole Lotta Love /Mona' was preceded by a snatch of 'House of the Rising Sun'. It was much appreciated by the audience. After an encore of 'Rock and Roll' the band took their bows and left the stage.

Despite my self inflicted limited view, I have to say it was a splendid night.

No comments:

Post a Comment