Friday 14 November 2014

Newcastle Black Gate and Castle Keep - a visit

In April this year I mentioned the fact that the Castle Keep and Black Gate in Newcastle were being renovated and I hoped to visit once the work had been completed. Well. I eventually found the time to do just that when I accompanied a group of friends (and friends of friends) to this historic site yesterday.

I have of course walked around and past these wonderful buildings on many occasions but I am slightly ashamed to admit that I have never previously been inside. 

Rather than give you a history of the site here, I will instead refer you to the excellent website http://www.castlekeep-newcastle.org.uk/

My visit was fascinating for all sorts of reasons but not least for the views across the city and the Tyne from the top of the keep.



For example, this view looks down river and takes in the Tyne Bridge, the Sage Gateshead and the Millenium Bridge.











This one shows the Black Gate in the foreground with St Nicholas' Cathedral behind it. Also in the distance on the left, St James Park the home of Newcastle United can be seen.















You can tell from this picture that we were braving the cold but the views made it all worthwhile.









This photo shows the swing bridge on the left and the Robert Stephenson designed high-level bridge on the right.













Finally here is an unusual view of a favourite watering-hole of mine. The Bridge Hotel where I have spent many a fine evening drinking beer and talking rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment