Sunday 14 September 2014

Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams

It's astonishing to think that in these days when artists are content to take four or five years (or in some cases much longer) to make an album, in 2005, Ryan Adams produced no fewer than three. What's even more astonishing is that they were all great and one of them was even a double album! Incredible!

Since then, the output of Adams has slowed somewhat and it has now been three years since his last album the largely acoustic, 'Ashes & Fire'. However I am pleased to report that he has now re-emerged with a new punk EP ''1984' which I have not heard, and a self titled album which I have. And the really good news is that he has lost none of his songwriting ability. 

With the exception of 'My Wrecking Ball', Adams has largely abandoned the more reflective acoustic songs in favour of rockier band numbers. In doing so, to my mind he has delivered one of the  most varied and compelling releases of his career. Certainly since that trio of albums with the Cardinals back in 2005. His new band features Benmont Tench on keyboards and on a couple of tracks ('Kim' and 'Feels Like Fire') a certain Johnny Depp on guitar and backing vocals.

On the opening track, the single 'Gimme Something Good' Adams sings "I was playing dead, and didn't make a sound / Holding my breath, going underground". Could he here be referring to his self imposed hiatus from the business of making music in 2009? Throughout the album the lyrics drop hints of things that have happened in the forty years Adams has been on this planet. But nothing is ever totally straight forward where Adams is concerned. How do you separate the fact from the fiction?

Musically I love the trio of songs that begins with 'Shadows' and ends with the superb 'I Just Might' which to my ears contains shades of Bruce Springsteen. In my view this is some of the best work Adams has ever produced, and that is really saying something.
A definite contender for album of the year. Welcome back Ryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment