Wednesday 24 September 2014

Real Musings From the White Room

It's been a busy time of late, most notably through attending a recent wedding and a very recent funeral. Both family events involving meeting up with some people I hadn't seen in a while. Such things encourage us to think of our own lives, and of our own mortality. We support each other, celebrate good times and reminisce about the past. Then we all go our separate ways and some of us will probably not meet up again until the next wedding or funeral. As the Doors said, "People are strange".

Sorry to dwell on such thoughts but I am sitting here nursing an horrendous sore throat, sipping honeyed tea, feeling sorry for myself and gazing at the pile of albums that have arrived in recent weeks and days. After making a big deal of how this year has been rather short of decent new albums, I now find myself inundated, with not enough time to listen to all the stuff.

Besides the ones I have already written about in these pages, I can now add recent releases by the Neil Cowley Trio, J. Mascis, Goat, Pere Ubu, Leonard Cohen and double albums from Lucinda Williams and Tweedy (the latter being Wilco's Jeff Tweedy with son, Spencer). Much as I would love to just sit here and listen to them all now, I'm afraid that there are more pressing things to do so I will arm myself with a pack of throat lozenges and get on with them.

No doubt I will be returning in due course to share my thoughts on at least some of the above albums. Now, where did I put those lozenges?


No comments:

Post a Comment