Thursday 30 January 2014

RIP Pete Seeger

It was with some sadness that I read about the death of Pete Seeger a couple of days ago.

Obviously as is befitting a man of his stature, a great deal is currently being written about the man and his work. I will merely relate my own personal experience of Pete Seeger.

I believe that the first time I encountered the name was when as a school boy, unable to afford the purchase of full priced LP records, I came across a folk album in a bargain bin in a Woolworths store. The album was entitled 'Rod McKuen Sings Folk' and as I had never heard of Rod McKuen, the record was obviously purchased because it contained Bob Dylan's 'Blowin' in the Wind'. However another of the songs captured my attention. This was 'If I Had a Hammer' which I learned from the record sleeve was written by Lee Hays and Pete Seeger. Although I did not know it at the time, they were of course both part of The Weavers folk group.

Thereafter, the name Seeger kept recurring as I trawled my way through as many 1960's folk albums as I could lay my hands on.

Of course music was only part of the real Pete Seeger story for he was also an activist in politics, environmentalism and anti-war rallies, remaining active in these causes well into his 90's.

In more ways that one, he was a giant of a man who will be sorely missed. 

RIP Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment