Monday 23 December 2013

Best Albums of 2013 - My Top Six

It has been quite a difficult task coming up with my absolute favourite albums of 2013; it truly has been a wonderful year for new (and reissued) music. Now it has finally come to the point where tradition dictates I should name the ones that come top of the pile, the deciding criteria being which new albums have occupied most of my listening time this year. In the end it comes down to the following six.

To place these six albums into some kind of order is also difficult for I am sure that whatever sequence I come up with today, I may disagree with tomorrow and to quote David Bowie, 'and the next day and the day after that'.

Anyway, this is the White Room top six (in reverse order) for 2013. 

6. 'Haw' by Hiss Golden Messenger.
I wrote about this album in May and you can read my thoughts here.

5. '[Awayland]' by The Villagers.
This was written about way back in January and my prediction that it would feature among my favourites was accurate. Read my thoughts here.

4. 'We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic' by Foxygen.
My thoughts on this work appeared on these pages in July. Read them here.

3. 'VII' by Blitzen Trapper.
One of my favourite bands of the past ten years didn't disappoint with this offering. Yes, of course you can read my opinions here.


2. 'The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)' by Steven Wilson.
It was a very close run thing for first place this year. I love this album and on any other day it may have clinched the top spot. If you wish, feel free to read more here.
1. 'Field Of Reeds' by These New Puritans.
I don't see this album finishing top of any other list this year, though to be fair it has featured in the lower extremes of some magazine lists. There is no doubt that this is less accessible than other albums in my own list, yet it is for that very reason that I have decided to award it first prize this year. The band are not seeking any commercial route to stardom but are bravely ploughing their own furrow, creating music which is challenging yet immensely rewarding for those prepared to stick with it. This is an album that will stick with me for many years and which one day may be looked back on as a true classic.

You can of course read my original thoughts here.























That's all until after Christmas but here's wishing you a very happy holiday.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment