Friday 11 October 2013

Paul McCartney - NEW and All These Years Volume 1 Tune In by Mark Lewisohn

Double treats on Friday morning.

First I got hold of Macca's new album which just happens to be called 'NEW'. Having played it straight through twice, I will say here and now that it appears to be his best album for years. I have to confess that I have not been a massive fan of much of his solo work (or Wings for that matter) as I find him inclined to be a bit slushy for my liking. And this album does have a few moments that are too close to pop music (the title track being a prime example). However, overall I am suitably impressed and will continue to give it a spin.

Also delivered this morning was my hard backed copy of the huge new work by Mark Lewisohn. If you didn't know by now, 'All These Years, Volume 1: Tune In' is the first part of three of Lewisohn's definitive story of The Beatles. This volume has over 900 pages and only takes us up to the beginning of the fab four's recording career in 1962.

My first comment has to be on the subject of the cover. Yeuk!

I mean what were they thinking? I wonder what Lewisohn himself thinks of it.

That aside, I have read a selection of extracts from it and found myself wanting more. Well, here it is, so let's get the coffee machine on and get stuck in.

I may be some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment