Sunday 6 October 2013

Harold McNair - Revisited

Some time ago I wrote on the subject of a very fine flute/saxophone player by the name of Harold McNair. If you missed my jottings then, you can catch them here.
http://eddie-graham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/harold-mcnair-flautist-extraordinaire.html#gpluscomments

At that time, my collection of music by McNair was very sparse, mainly because little of it is available on CD (a travesty I feel). However my collection has been substantially boosted thanks to the generosity of another collector of McNair's work. Wolfgang has been kind enough to send me copies of several albums by McNair, including a couple of very rare albums from his early career in Jamaica. The cherry on the cake however, was a copy of the much sought after collector's item, 'Affectionate Fink'. I can not thank you enough Wolfgang.

Most recently I was sent a recording of a BBC radio documentary on the subject of Harold McNair. My thanks for this kind gesture must go to Dave who just happens to be a nephew of Harold McNair.

In the documentary, the work of McNair is discussed by Steve Rubie who is the owner of the 606 Jazz Club based at 90 Lots Road, Chelsea. He reveals several anecdotes about McNair but also plays several tracks which demonstrate the diversity of talents and musical styles of this superb musician.

Listening to the documentary was, I have to say, a perfect way to fill an hour on a lazy Sunday morning. Thank you Dave.

I still find it something of a travesty that McNair's work Is not more readily available and that his name is not ranked up there with the jazz greats. As the BBC programme makes clear, he was very widely respected among other musicians. If a flute player was required in the 1960's, Harold McNair would be the first name on everyones lips resulting in him playing on many sessions and film scores.

Perhaps the current lack of recognition is something to do with how short his life and career were. As I reported previously, he died of lung cancer at the tragically young age of 39.

Now, the coffee machine is fired up and I have a stack of Harold McNair CD's before me. It's what Sundays were made for. If you don't believe me, then wrap your ears around this; The Fence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQnQcazvDU


No comments:

Post a Comment