Monday 13 May 2013

Hiss Golden Messenger - Haw




I have missed the previous three albums from this US duo but on the strength of some good reviews I took the plunge with their most recent album, 'Haw'.

And how pleased I am that I did as I have discovered yet another superb album, to add to the ever growing list competing for the White Room prize for album of 2013.

The duo are M C Taylor and Scott Hirsch and they are ably supported on this album by among others, William Tyler and Nathan Bowles. The name 'Haw' I understand comes from the name of a river and the Sissipahaw native American tribe of North Carolina. So now you know!

Musically the songs veer from the soft country rock of 'I've Got a Name for the New Born Child' and 'Sweet as John Hurt', through the Dr John-like swamp groove of 'Devotion', the hoedown fiddle dance tune that is 'Hark Maker (Glory Rag)' to the blues rock opening track, 'Red Rose Nantahala'. Stand out tracks though, are 'Busted Note' and 'Suffer (Love My Conquerer)'. The latter could be a folky Americana tune but midway through Taylor is joined by a female singer (Sonia Turner) before lush strings wash through the airwaves clashing against strange electronic sounds emerging from the left channel. It is totally mesmerising and on first hearing comes as a complete surprise. Another surprise occurs during 'Cheerwine Easter' when the gentle acoustic ballad is blown apart by a subtly jarring, slightly discordant but totally wonderful sax solo backed by tinkling piano. Wonderful!

I have not yet had time to fully take in all of the lyrics but throughout I detect a host of biblical references. Perhaps those more familiar with this band can enlighten me as to whether there are serious religious messages within these words.

Because of the broad palette of styles on this album, the band are difficult to categorise musically, though because of the Americana roots of most tracks I would draw comparisons with another of my favourites in this genre, Blitzen Trapper. To me, that's no bad thing. I have been gradually drawn in to this record and I think it may well be in the mix when it comes to deciding on my favourites of 2013.

What a year it's been.




No comments:

Post a Comment