Monday 20 May 2013

First Thoughts - Inside Llewyn Davis

As a long time fan of movies by the Coen brothers, I am of course looking forward to seeing their latest work, 'Inside Llewyn Davis'. Over the weekend I have been reading the reviews of the first screening of the movie at the Cannes Film Festival and they have certainly whetted my appetite.

Being a fan of the early Bob Dylan I have something of a fascination for Greenwich Village in the early 1960s and spent an unhealthy amount of my time on my visit to New York City, seeking out some of the venues and addresses made famous during that period. It appears that this film brings the period to life being very very loosely based upon the memoirs of Dave van Ronk, 'The Mayor of MacDougal Street'. The film also sees the Coens reunited with songwriter/producer T-Bone Burnett following their successful venture into American music history in the wonderful 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?'.

It may be some time before the film hits these shores but if the word coming out of Cannes is anything to go by, I will be one of the first in line for a ticket. I suspect I will get as much fun checking out the film locations and identifying those characters that are based on real people (Dylan, Grossman etc.) as I will following the storyline. Hopefully the soundtrack will be worth hearing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment