Saturday 22 December 2012

Best Albums of 2012 - The Contenders

It's always fun to look back over the past year and consider which have been the best new albums released in that period. I say new albums because of course, reissues, of which there are many these days, do not count.

I should say at the outset that I have not heard every album that has been issued in 2012, so the following are merely my favourites of those I have listened to. I confess to having had a sneaky look at some of the other lists that have begun appearing on the 'net, just to see how some of my own favourites have fared elsewhere. I see that there are a number of albums that seem to feature heavily in the other lists, but as I have not had time to listen to them, they will not appear here. These include 'Channel Orange' by Frank Ocean, 'Love This Giant' by David Byrne & St Vincent and 'Allelujah, Don't Bend, Ascend' by Godspeed You, Black Emperor. I have listened to 'Lonerism' by Tame Impala and I'm afraid it left me cold while the debut album by Jake Bugg sounds promising but I have not had the chance to give it sufficient attention to feature on my list. I may regret this in time but I guess that's the way of the world. There are just not enough hours in the day to listen to everything.

So, to the records that might have made my top three but failed to do so. Nevertheless they are all fine albums.

Bruce Springsteen - 'Wrecking Ball'
I was fortunate enough to see Bruce live twice during 2012. Obviously he performed quite a number of songs from his latest album but for me they were not as strong as many of his past songs. These days he is hard to beat as a live act but this album would fall way down my list this year.

Bob Dylan - 'Tempest'
To be honest I had almost given up on Bob. I last saw him live in 2004 and my anticipation of new albums diminished to such an extent that I was almost apathetic towards the release of 'Tempest'. Imagine my surprise when I found myself listening to it almost non stop for a three or four week period after its release. 'Long and Wasted Years', 'Pay in Blood', 'Scarlet Town' and 'Tin Angel' are among the best songs he has written for many years and what voice he has left is used to good effect on most of this album. So why doesn't it feature in my top three? Two reasons! One it is too long and two, the fourteen minute title song and the following 'Roll on John' are total rubbish. Remove these two songs and the remaining 45 minute album is a pleasure to listen to and might have been pushing for a place in my top three.

Patti Smith - 'Banga'
It's great to have Patti back writing terrific songs and sounding in superb voice. What more can I say other than that more people should have bought this album?

Little Feat - 'Rooster Rag'
In my view, this is their best effort since 1979. Read more about it here - http://eddie-graham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/little-feat-rooster-rag.html

The Decemberists - 'We All Raise Our Voices to the Air'
The only live album to feature on my list but they are currently one of my favourite bands. Read more here - http://eddie-graham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/decemberists-we-all-raise-our-voices-to.html

Neil Young - 'Psychedelic Pill'
Following on from the 'rehearsal tapes' that made up 'Americana' Neil Young & Crazy Horse gave us the real thing with this double album. Soundwise, you know what you are going to get when Young saddles up the Horse, but what lets this album down somewhat is the quality of some of the songwriting. 'Ramada Inn' is lovely but is countered by the 26 minute long opening track 'Driftin' Back' in which Young rambles on about a number of issues including the sound of digitised music and wanting to get a hip-hop haircut. 'Nuff said!

Fiona Apple - 'The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do'
What kind of title is that? Let's just call it 'The Idler Wheel' shall we?
I confess that I came to Ms, Apple cold this year, not having heard any of her previous stuff.
Having said that, I will now be seeking out some of her back catalogue because this album has knocked me sideways. It is certainly not easy listening and requires a bit of perseverance but it is worth the effort. Comparisons must be made with Tori Amos.
So why is it not in my top three? Purely because it is an album that, like fine wine, needs to be given time to savour its delights and as yet I feel I have only scratched the surface. Retrospectively I may revise my opinions on this album and it could go either way.

The Alabama Shakes - 'Boys & Girls'
A very fine debut album which I wrote about in May - http://eddie-graham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/alabama-shakes.html
I can't wait to hear how they follow up this gem.

Alejandro Escovedo - 'Big Station'
When is Alejandro Escovedo going to get the recognition he so richly deserves? This is now his 11th studio album and the third to be produced by Tony Visconti who stamps his mark all over this album in the form of handclaps and female backing vocals. Co-written with another of my favourites, Chuck Prophet, there is not a weak song on the album, in fact I rate it more highly than Prophet's own 'Temple Beautiful' which was also released this year. This almost made my top three, but not quite, as we shall see.

Calexico - 'Algiers'
Yet another of my Americana favourites, Joey Burns, John Convertino and colleagues do what they do best. Relocating from their native Tucson to New Orleans to record this album, one might have expected them to come out sounding like Dr John. Not so! Despite the album title, these songs are clearly set in the California/Mexico region that gave the band their name. In my opinion the album is not quite as strong as 'Feast of Wire' or 'Carried to Dust' but it is a good album nevertheless. The deluxe version is worth getting for the bonus live disc 'Spiritoso'.

Dr John - 'Locked Down'
Having just mentioned Dr John, it is only fitting that I mention this album. Produced by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys, this album finds the band in great form and Mac Renennack in fine voice. There is not a weak song on it. Oh, and I also enjoyed seeing him live in July.

Leonard Cohen - 'Old Ideas'
Another 'oldie' who released an album this year, I feel that Cohen has outshone both Dylan and Young with this offering. Strong songs that are thankfully uncluttered by the synths that dominated some of his later albums. Beautiful female backing vocals and even some sublime Leonard Cohen guitar on 'Crazy to Love You' that harks back to his very first releases. True, I could have done with more from his touring band instead of the one meagre song on offer ('Darkness') but perhaps now I'm being picky.

Jack White - 'Blunderbuss'
Despite the fact that ex-wife Karen Elson contributes backing vocals, this album is being touted as White's 'divorce album', Certainly there are bitter feelings being put on display here, such as during my favourite track, the opening 'Missing Pieces' in which White sings "When they tell you they just can’t live without you/They ain’t lying, they’ll take pieces of you/And they’ll stand above you/And walk away". As so called 'divorce albums go, this ain't no 'Blood on the Tracks' but it's still a mighty fine album.

The Mastersons - 'Birds Fly South'
Husband and wife team Chris Masterson and Eleanor Whitmore have really caught my eye this year. Having met at a music festival they soon found themselves both working as part of Steve Earle's backup band (The Dukes & Duchesses). Their musical pedigree suggests that they are great musicians but additionally they are both terrific singers and harmonise beautifully. A very fine debut album indeed.

Patterson Hood - 'Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance'
I wrote about this in November - http://eddie-graham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/patterson-hood-heat-lightning-rumbles.html

Among the other albums I have enjoyed this year have been:-
Ian Anderson - Thick as a Brick 2' - http://eddie-graham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/so-what-did-become-of-gerald-bostock.html
Mumford & Sons - 'Babel'
Mark Knopfler - 'Privateering'
Diana Krall - 'Glad Rag Doll'
Nick Cave & Various Artists - 'Lawless Original Soundtrack'
The Shins - 'Port of Morrow'

However for my top three albums of the year, you will have to wait until next time. Meanwhile have a very happy Christmas. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment