Thursday 14 May 2015

Box Sets #16 Roxy Music - The Complete Studio Recordings 1972-1982

My first acquaintance with Roxy Music came ironically not through their music but via an article that appeared in the NME on 1 July 1972. I had just celebrated my 21st birthday the previous day and was no doubt nursing a hangover and listening to an album on my very first stereo record player whilst leafing through the pages of the British music paper that I then purchased weekly. The article was entitled 'Roxy Music: The Answer to a Maiden's Prayer, or Anyone Else's' and it waxed lyrical about this dynamic new band and their debut album that had been released two weeks previously. The article described this strange art rock that blended elements of 1950's rock'n'roll with futuristic synth and mellotron sounds. I was so intrigued by what I read that I took myself off to a local record store armed with a birthday record token and purchased the album after only hearing one track -  'Ladytron'.

 I loved the album and went on to buy the non-album single 'Virginia Plain' released the following month. Ditto with the following single 'Pyjamarama' and the second album 'For Your Pleasure' in March 1973. Oh and I also saw Roxy Music live a couple of times during that period.

I have written before of my love for artists who are prepared to push the boundaries of their art and Roxy Music certainly did that. How many other popular artists at that time would dare to release tracks such as 'In Every Dream Home a Heartache', 'For Your Pleasure' or 'The Bogus Man'? As we all know, Brian Eno departed and the band went on to create another couple of fine albums including arguably their best, 'Stranded', but gradually to my ears they became a little too polished and mainstream and my interest waned. I then ceased buying their albums and I never saw them perform live again.

Last week however I came across 'The Complete Studio Recordings 1972-1982' at a ridiculously low price and was compelled to purchase it. I have no regrets. Not only do I have those classic early albums transferred from original masters to replicate the sound of the original vinyl albums but I also now have the opportunity to re-evaluate their later output which I have to confess contained some pretty fine songs and superb production. All eight studio albums are included in nice mini replica gatefold sleeves. Additionally there are two bonus CD's containing singles, B-sides and alternate mixes. Consequently 'Virginia Plain' is included on one of the bonus CD's and NOT on the first album as it was on the original CD version. This is how it should be - at least here in the UK. (The track was included on the US version of that album). The package is quite nice - if you are familiar with the Bob Dylan Original Mono Recordings from a few years back, then you will find this package identical in size and quality. Sadly no book though, so the only information is that which is included on the replica sleeves.

I am currently reliving those early experiences of hearing Roxy Music and discovering anew just what a fine band they were and what a great lyricist Bryan Ferry was and is. It is almost like being 21 again.

Don't mock.  I did say 'almost'.

No comments:

Post a Comment