Tuesday 31 March 2015

Looking Forward - Some Anticipated Forthcoming Albums

I notice that there are a few new albums on the horizon which have caused a wee flutter of anticipation here in the White Room.

In April there will be a new offering from Calexico. Called 'Edge of the Sun' it will be their first release since 'Algiers' in 2012.  You can listen to the track 'Cumbia de Donde' by clicking here.

On the same date, Villagers will release the follow up to the brilliant '{Awayland}'. The track 'Hot Scary Summer' is also currently streaming and can be heard on this link.

I see that both bands also happen to be touring to promote the albums but the bad news for me is that they will not be appearing in my area. Which means I either travel or miss them altogether.  Decisions, decisions!

Pretty much imminent is an album 'New York Before the War' from Jesse Malin. It will be his first new album in five years so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with. In my view he is a very underrated artist. I note that he is touring also though the date he hits my area, I have other plans so I will have to miss out. I've seen him on several occasions previously and he never fails to deliver a first class show. Unfortunately on the eve of my 59th birthday he was playing in Newcastle but I was otherwise engaged. My son was able to attend and as he happened to be carrying his birthday card to me, he was cheeky enough to get Malin to sign it for me. A nice little memento for me to keep. 

No doubt I will have more to say about Jesse's album in due course.

Also in April I see a new album is due from the Alabama Shakes. I wonder whether 'Sound & Color' will match their debut 'Boys & Girls'. Have a listen to 'Future People' by clicking here and see what you think.

Yet another anticipated release in April comes from Bill Fay. We waited 41 years for his last album, 'Life is People' but thankfully only three years for his latest which will be called 'Who is the Sender?' A track called 'War Machine' is currently available to stream if you click here.

Finally I am looking forward to summer for the release of another album by Sun Kil Moon. It will be called 'Universal Themes' but the exact release date has not yet been announced.

It looks as though 2015 could be another great year for new music.

No comments:

Post a Comment