Sunday 1 February 2015

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - the Play.

On Saturday I made an all too rare visit to Newcastle Theatre Royal. Having thoroughly enjoyed Mark Haddon's book I was intrigued to see how this work would transfer to the live stage. I must confess that prior to my visit I had some misgivings as to whether I would find the transition enjoyable.

For me one of the key aspects of the book is how well the reader connects with the lead character, the 'mathematician with some behavioural difficulties', Christopher John Francis Boone. The book is narrated by Christopher so we get to know his innermost thoughts and feelings as events take place around him. I just could not see how this would work in the theatre.

Thankfully it does.

The narration falls to Siobhan, Christopher's teacher and mentor, who reads aloud Christopher's writings. The technique combined with a sparse but very effective stage set up works extremely well.




So, if like me you are having misgivings about going to see this play, I can only suggest you put them to one side and go. If you enjoy the book, I am sure you will also enjoy this performance.

Click here to see what others had to say about the performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment